Friday 19 May 2017

Salvation - The Plymouth Proprietary Library (1/10/16)

With a familiar buzz and a click
I enter this veteran place
Where I am greeted with a smile
From many a friendly face,
And transported back through time
As I ascend the stair,
From modern thriller fiction
To the Roman Empire,
Right up to the pinnacle
Where another room is found:
A quiet dusty haven
Far above the ground.
There is an occasional gathering
For coffee, cake, and tea
Or a talk on someone prominent
Whose work is displayed to see,
But it is through this vertical warren
That I scurry as I’m tasked
To fetch and find and return books –
My mind free at last!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Dormant Seed - Chetham's Library, Manchester (31/10-2/11/16)

People read In a place which time forgot, Frozen in aspect Since its inception In days of old. Yet Manchester’s legacy Has not ...